You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
For HDR Advisors
HDR Advisors Training Program
Resources and Support
- Research Education Sub-Committee and Executive
- Advisor Handbook
- Principles for Respectful Supervisory Relationships
- HDR Advisors Training Program
- Workshops & Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
HDR Under Review Procedure
HDR Under Review Procedure
To manage the progress of a Higher Degree by Research Candidate whose current performance is of concern with a view to rectifying the problem in a constructive manner that is transparent to the Candidate.
This Procedure elaborates the Under Review section of the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Requirements.
This Procedure applies to Candidates for the research higher degrees offered by the University..
Terms mentioned in this document and not defined here are defined in the Policy Glossary in the Learning and Teaching domain of the University Policy Library, and in the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Requirements.
- A Candidate may have their candidature placed Under Review at any time after enrolment and prior to conferral for reasons outlined in point 2.
2. The Dean, Graduate Research may place a Candidate Under Review for reasons including, but not limited to:
a. Unsatisfactory progress as demonstrated by:
- Unsuccessful outcome of a required milestone evaluation
- An assessment of ‘Progress Requires Review’ on a progress report
- A grade of ‘Fail’ or ‘Conceded Pass’ for any required HDR subject.
b. Delayed progress without approved extension as demonstrated by:
- Failure to complete a required milestone or progress report by the due date
- Exceeding the duration of the degree without an approved extension
- Failure to submit the thesis for examination or re-examination by the due date
- Exceeding the duration of any approved extension
c. Failure to maintain contact with the Advisory Panel, College (or equivalent) or Graduate Research School for 3 months or more.
d. A breach of relevant University policy that is not considered sufficiently serious to warrant immediate discontinuation of candidature.
3. The Candidate placed Under Review must be notified in writing within ten (10) University working days by the Graduate Research School.
4. The College ADRE or nominee must meet with a Candidate who has been put Under Review and their Advisory Panel to discuss the reasons for being placed Under Review as well as the significance, implications and expectations of being Under Review for all parties involved, including the following requirements:
- All parties must adhere to the agreement
- The Candidate must keep minutes of any meetings between the Candidate and Advisors and provide them to the Advisors within 3 working days of the meeting
- The Candidate has the opportunity to outline any mitigating circumstances which may prevent them from achieving the requirements of the Candidature Management Plan, and must produce evidence of any mitigating circumstances.
5. Candidates who are Under Review must develop and submit a Candidature Management Plan on the HDR Candidature Management Plan and Evaluation Form, which must be endorsed by the Candidature Committee and ADRE and submitted to the Graduate Research School within twenty (20) University working days of the Candidate being notified under 3 above. The duration of the Candidature Management Plan, which can be up to 6 months, must also be agreed by the Candidate and Candidature Committee at this stage.
6. Candidates who fail to submit an approved Candidature Management Plan within this time may be subject to the HDR Discontinuation of Candidature Procedure.
7. At the end of the specified Under Review period, the Candidate, Advisory Panel, Independent Academic and Chair of the Candidature Committee must meet to assess the Candidate’s progress in relation to the agreed conditions in the HDR Candidature Management Plan and Evaluation Form. This is also an opportunity for the candidate to present their case if not all the requirements of the Candidature Management Plan were met. The Chair of the Candidature Committee and the Independent Academic must record their assessment of the Candidate’s progress on the HDR Candidature Management Plan and Evaluation Form, the Candidate and the Primary Advisor may be asked to leave the room while the decision is reached. All parties must then be advised of the result of this decision and sign the HDR Candidature Management Plan and Evaluation Form to acknowledge that they are aware of the result. The Candidature Committee must make one of the following recommendations to the Dean, Graduate Research as per the HDR Candidature Management Plan and Evaluation Form :
a. That the Candidate has met the conditions in their Candidature Management Plan and the candidature be continued without penalty.
b. That the Candidate has partially met the conditions in their Candidature Management Plan or has identified previously unendorsed mitigating circumstances which have led to non-completion of the requirements, and that the Under Review period be continued for a further specified period, with another review to occur at the end of that period.
c. That the Candidate has failed to meet the conditions in their Candidature Management Plan and that the candidature be discontinued in accordance with the HDR Discontinuation of Candidature Procedure.
8. The Candidature Management Plan Evaluation must be provided to the Dean, Graduate Research via the Graduate Research School who will notify the Candidate of the approved course of action.
9. A Candidate may appeal the outcome of their Under Review period by referring to Clause 3 of the Student Complaint Management Policy and Procedure.
10. A Candidate who has been placed Under Review will remain enrolled and is subject to all conditions and policies applicable to an enrolled student, including continued receipt of any stipend of fee-offset scholarships that have been awarded, and liability for all tuition and other fees required by the University.
11. Bridging Procedure for Candidates Under Review at Time of Implementation of this Procedure
11.1 Candidates Under Review at the time of implementation of this procedure will not be subject to this procedure for that particular Under Review period.
11.2 Once the Under Review period ends for Candidates who are Under Review at the time of implementation of this procedure, there will be 2 options:
a) The Candidate has met the conditions in their Candidature Management Plan and their candidature should be continued, or
b) The Candidate has failed to meet the conditions in their Candidature Management Plan and their candidature should be placed Under Review again according to the new procedure.
Dean, Graduate Research
Date for next review:
Doesn’t go to merit review if not happy with outcome.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture